It’s often said that IMS is more than a school. That’s why when we welcome international students to our campus, we’re inviting you to join our classes, our teams, our community, our family. This school year we’re enjoying students from China, Russia and Germany. This cultural exchange and learning from each other enhances the IMS atmosphere. Come join us in Kalona, Iowa. We can’t wait to meet you!
International students are a vibrant part of the IMS community. We feel that the diversity international students bring to campus enhances the education of all of our students. The difference between IMS and other diverse schools is that, at IMS, there is engagement with those who have different perspectives. We recognize that many individuals from a variety of denominations and faith traditions agree with our basic Anabaptist-Mennonite values. It is important to celebrate and encourage opportunities for diversity at school. When we interact with others from different parts of the world, it helps us gain a global perspective and leads to a more dynamic faith.
Recent students have come from the following countries: Albania, Armenia, China, Ecuador, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Montenegro, Russia, South Korea, Tajikistan, Turkey and Ukraine.
International students are placed with host families. In home environments, our students are able to be a part of a family in their daily lives and enhance their English language skills. International students also get the chance to share about their culture with their host families. It is a cross cultural experience that can’t be accomplished living in a dorm environment. We have found this experience benefits the student as well as the host family.
Some international students attend IMS through international student exchange programs such as World Link. International students may apply directly or through brokerage agencies.
Documents required for enrollment consideration:
- Completed Iowa Mennonite School Admissions application
- Copy of applicant’s birth certificate, valid passport or visa
- Copies of transcript/grade reports, including English translation
- Current and complete health records
- Additional documents/teacher recommendations as needed
- An interview or Skype interview may be required to determine English proficiency
- Proof of availability of finances to fund full education at IMS is required along with a $250 deposit before the I-20 is issued
- Tuition refunds are pro-rated at the school’s discretion
- A new international student orientation fee will also be applied to first-year students