Soccer wins on the road

Cole Ours, Louis Etienne, Cody Jones

IMS traveled to Burlington to take on the Nikes, undefeated in conference play and won 2-1. The game was choppy, a bit like the taped rendition of the National Anthem which never did reach its end. It took some adjustment to playing on a narrow field with an uneven surface as IMS struggled to string passes together and to create sustained offensive pressure. In the meantime Notre Dame sent balls forward to a speedy forward line putting pressure on the back line of Mitchell Schmieder, Reggie Borntrager, Kobe Borntrager and Eli Ours, but with the help of goalie Blake Bontrager, the IMS defenders consistently thwarted Notre Dame efforts to score. With less than a minute in the half on an IMS clearance the ball deflected off another IMS defender and into the path of a Notre Dame player who stuck the ball in the net for the 1-0 halftime lead.

In the second half play continued much as it had in the first half as field conditions made accurate passing difficult. At about the halfway point of the second half, Notre Dame was awarded a penalty kick. The shot ricocheted off the post, across the face of the goal where Blake Bontrager made a diving save on a point blank rebound shot.

Blake Bontrager

The missed pk seemed to put some fresh energy into the IMS players who began putting more pressure on Notre Dame’s back line. As the game moved towards the last quarter of the game IMS tried pushing more players forward to generate some offense. After a long throw in from Jacob Boller, the ball found its way to Cole Ours in front of the goal. The goalie saved Cole’s shot but could not control the ball which bounced out of his reach and into the path of Drew Blauvelt who ran with the ball into the goal to even the score.

As the game entered the final minutes Cole Ours legs were taken out from him and IMS was awarded a direct kick from about 30 yards out toward the sideline. Isaiah Swantz sent a ball to the back corner where it skimmed off the head of a Notre Dame player before finding the head of Louis Etienne who redirected the ball into the goal for the 2-1 lead with 2:28 showing on the clock. From there IMS was able to run out the clock as Ours took the ball deep to the corner running precious seconds off the clock to preserve the victory.

IMS moves to 2-0. IMS returns to action Monday hosting Highland, then Tuesday hosting Mediapolis, then finishing the week Thursday hosting Central Lee of Donnelson.